[Telepathy] Collaboration to make numerous (Skype, or MSN or Yahoo...) users switch to a free protocol

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 24 01:10:05 PDT 2010

Le jeudi 24 juin 2010 à 15:44 +0900, YannUbuntu a écrit :
> hi,

Hi Yann,

> Collaboration is a very good idea. But I think the priority of this
> collaboration should be to make a client able to perform audio&video
> calls between Windows and GNU/Linux (as XMPP is the only free protocol
> to currently perform 3+ users video call maybe we could concentrate on
> it). IMHO, that would certainly be the most efficient way to make
> numerous (Skype, and MSN and Yahoo...) users switch to a free
> protocol.

Our XMPP backend (telepathy-gabble) has always be and will continue to
be our most active connection manager. We are also working on improving
the XMPP protocol itself, with Muji for example.

> I see 2 solutions for this:
> 1) port Empathy on Windows.

As said in the FAQ [1], we'd be happy to see a Window port but that's
not something we are working on atm.

> 2) make Pidgin (or Emesene or other Windows IM) able to perform XMPP
> audio&video calls with Empathy.

Any XMPP client implementing Jingle should be able to interop with
Empathy. If that's not the case that's a bug that should be fixed. :)

I'm not sure if the Window version of Pidgin already support audio/video
but if it does, it should be able to interop with Empathy.

Another option is to use the Google Video web plugin on Window. It works
fine with Empathy as well.

Regards,

	G.

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Empathy/FAQ#Is_there_a_Windows_port.3F