[Telepathy] GSoC 2010 - Retroshare in Telepathy

Olivier Le Thanh Duong olivier at lethanh.be
Sun Mar 21 10:29:15 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Naveen Verma <ernaveenverma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Prathab,
>
> To me its look like if we have protocol apis then we just need to create a
> telepathy connection manager, which should work with any existing telepathy
> client.
>
> -Br
> Naveen
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:34 PM, prathab at cse.iitm <prathab1 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>>      I am M Prathab student of IIT Madras India.
>>      I am willing to apply for GSoC 2010.
>>
>>      The project I have in mind is to add serverless and
>>      encrypted messenger protocol libretroshare
>>      ( http://retroshare.sourceforge.net/ ) to telepathy.
>>
>>      I am looking for a mentor who would support me.
>>      Also I like other developer to give their opinion on the
>>      above project.
>>

>> regards
>> prathab

Hi,
thanks for your interest in Telepathy. Creating a connection manager
is effectively how a new protocol support is added in Telepathy.
Note that it would only works for feature such as IM and File Transfer
which are already part of the telepathy part, however it seems like
retroshare support other feature like : publishing a list of file,
querying it, forums, etc... If you want to implement theses features
too you would need to provide your own dbus interface definition, see
if the telepathy dev are interested in having them implemented in the
spec and then code client support but it seems quite of a big task for
a SoC.
Hope this helps,

regards,
Olivier