[Telepathy] GSoC - Project Idea (refined)

Salomon Sickert sickert at in.tum.de
Thu Mar 25 02:54:02 PDT 2010

> How your project will be related to Mathusalem? Will you re-use code? Or
> at least some part of the D-Bus API? I think it would be worth to
> discuss with Steve to not lose experience from the past.

I don't know exactly how much code is reusable. But I assume the portion
is limited. The D-Bus API has some good ideas, which I will definitely
reuse. The Major Difference is, that Mathusalem was designed to do all
the I/O stuff. My implementation will only observe the progress of the
client application.

In the next days, I will contact Steve and discuss things out.

> I guess you plan to write an UI displaying running tasks as well. It
> would be interested to check with gnome-shell guys if that's something
> they'd be interested in.

Yes definitely, this is in my opinion the greatest improvement this
project delivers to the user - a central UI, which keeps track of all
running task, instead of checking 10 different windows.

> If other GNOME projects are interested in this feature I'd be happy to
> integrate in Empathy/Telepathy as well.
> We'll probably use it to display file transfers. From a Telepathy pov
> that could be done without modifying Empathy by implementing an Observer
> [1] watching FileTransfer channel [2].

That's great to hear. When I'm done with the whole low-level stuff and
the GUI, I will definitely write or help writing patches for various
applications.

Salomon