[Telepathy] Announce: telepathy-spec 0.21.5

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 05:54:11 PST 2010

The "For the fictional pink sentient fungus, see Mi-go" release.

telepathy-spec is the document defining the Telepathy real-time communication
framework's D-Bus API, from which all our other projects are derived.

  <http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/>
  <http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-spec/>
  <git://git.collabora.co.uk/git/telepathy-spec.git>
  <http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-spec.git> (gitweb)

Changes to stable API:

• fd.o #29376: Chan.T.Text now requires Chan.I.Messages (cassidy, smcv)

• fd.o #23155: message-token has been redefined from "globally unique"
  to "whatever's in the underlying protocol", replacing the unimplemented
  protocol-token. This makes it feasible to implement message-token again.
  Note that connection managers implementing message-token should not be
  backported to Maemo 5, since its event logger assumes that message-token
  is guaranteed to be unique, which is usually unimplementable. (wjt)

Deprecations:

• Most of Chan.T.Text has been superseded by Chan.I.Messages and so is now
  deprecated (smcv)

• GetPendingMessageContent is deprecated (wjt)

New stable API:

• fd.o #14003: Chan.T.ServerAuthentication and Chan.I.SASLAuthentication
  provide interactive querying for credentials, allowing connection without
  saving a password if there is a handler for these channels (eeejay, smcv,
  jonny)

• Chan.I.Securable indicates whether a channel is secure (smcv, jonny)

• fd.o #28866: ChannelDispatcher and ChannelRequest now support
  "request hints" (metadata passed through from the requester to the handler),
  and the SucceededWithChannel signal (wjt, smcv)

• fd.o #20775: Protocol.I.Avatars indicates the expected requirements for
  avatars (eeejay)
  · no changes since draft 1

• message-sender-id key in Messages headers, complementing
  message-sender (smcv)

• Messages.MessageTypes property, superseding GetMessageTypes (smcv)

• Contact_Info_Field_Flag_Overwritten_By_Nickname, indicating that this
  field will be overwritten when we set the nickname (jonner)

• Account.I.Addressing stores user preferences for use of accounts for
  non-primary protocols, such as using SIP for telephony (fledermaus)

• fd.o #29914: Conn.I.Powersaving allows connections to be placed in a
  lower-power-consumption state when a portable device is not in active use
  · no changes since draft 1

• new errors: Confused, ServerConfused (smcv)

Fixes and clarifications:

• fd.o #27183: mutual subscription is a job for servers or UIs, and should not
  be enforced by CMs (smcv)

• MIME types produced by CMs must be lower-case; MIME types provided by
  clients should be normalized to lower-case before comparison (mikhailz)

• Improve wording of requestability templates and add markup for
  sometimes-requestable properties (wjt)

• fd.o #29560: clarify how Messages signals errors (smcv)

• fd.o #29474: adjust TargetHandleType and Chan.T.Text documentation to
  reflect the Conference-based approach to MSN used since 0.20 (smcv)

• Delete unused code-generation tools and their tests, and various outdated
  documents (smcv)

• Update test-specparser.py so it actually passes, and run it in
  "make check" (smcv)

• fd.o #31661: editorial improvements (wjt)

Changes to experimental API:

• Hints and SucceededWithChannel moved to ChannelDispatcher.I.Hints and
  ChannelRequest.I.Hints

• More Call changes (jonny, sjoerd, danni)
  · make CodecOffer and Codec_Offering specific to one contact
  · fd.o #28725: add InitialTransport
  · fd.o #28690: add PleaseRestartICE and document ICE restarts
  · fd.o #31279: add Unknown and Multicast transport types