[Telepathy] H264 SVC ?

Toby streumix at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 1 03:24:16 PDT 2010

Scalable video coding for H264 is a pretty new area.
I'm not aware of a working open source implementation.
There's http://sourceforge.net/projects/opensvcdecoder/ addressing the
decoder,
and there had been some discussions on the ffmpeg mailing list.
But I haven't checked the latest status for a while.

Indeed, Google Gtalk provides a proprietary implementation licensed from
Vidyo for free (!!!), which
is key for Gtalk video chat quality on windows.

Now, since a FOSS implementation of H264/SVC (required in Gstreamer) is not
visible on the horizon,
we can only pray and wait for a linux version of the gtalk plugin.

Toby