[Telepathy] change speexenc settings for empathy

Alexey Fisher bug-track at fisher-privat.net
Mon Apr 11 06:09:20 PDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 18:46 +0200, Alexey Fisher wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 09.04.2011, 10:42 -0400 schrieb Olivier Crête:
> > On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 10:33 -0400, Olivier Crête wrote:
> > > So the way to keep on receiving data it to send out packets
> > > continuously, even if there is no actual data to be sent. It does waste
> > > bandwidth, but for now it's the best we can do.. Unless someone can
> > > figure out a way to reliably disable it while in a call.
> >
> > I guess the way to do that is to use /dev/network_latency
>
> Whole WMM concept is about stream tagging. I assume: if we tag steam as
> voice we will also get lo latency.
>
> part from this page http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WMM :
> "AC_VO queue is laso used for WMM Power Save, also called Unscheduled
> Automatic Power Save Delivery U-APSD
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11e-2005#APSD. Only IP packets
> with ToS value 0xb8 DSCP Expedited Forwarding are buffered by AP, and
> waiting for other RTP packets from STA to be released. "
>
> I tried:
> ... ! udpsink qos=1 qos-dscp=8 port=...
>
> And it looks like my dd-wrt tagged the stream as voice. At leas
> wireshark recognize it. I still can't confirm if driver recognize it or
> not.

On my current knowledge state (i continue to learn how wireless power
management work), AP will _not_ initiate _any_ power mgnt operations if
it disabled on client side.
You can check it with this command:
iwconfig wlan0 | grep "Power Management"

By default power management is disabled, because of some broken APs.
There are different power save techniques: legacy power save (use only
PS-poll), S-APSD, U-APSD (WMM Power save?), ... others?
Some APs brake even legacy power save, so there is no reason to blame
WMM power save.

If we use QoS video/audio, AP should decide to use (scheduled) S-APSD.
It is interesting how S-APSD perform on audio stream with variable
packer rate.

Only reason to do static packet rate for VoIP is NAT and AP with broken
power save. If you exclude NAT or open some port for VoIP (or use upnp)
and use correct QoS with enabled power save, you can save power and
network traffic.

        Alexey