[Telepathy] Spec advice needed: ChannelDispatcher.DelegateChannels() and PresentChannel()

Olli Salli ollisal at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 03:43:55 PDT 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Guillaume Desmottes
<guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> The other issue is about updating the Handler.HandledChannels property:
> """
> Humm I thought about a potential issue with DelegateChannels(). Handlers
> are supposed to announce the channels they are handling in
> Handler.HandledChannels
> [1].
>
> In practice clients don't have to care as TpBaseClient (or the tp-qt4
> equivalent) transparently does it for them. We'll have to make sure that
> TpBaseClient is informed when a channel is delegated as it'll have to
> remove the channel from the HandledChannels list.
> Maybe we should announce that on D-Bus? Another option would be to hook
> the tp-glib DelegateChannels API with TpBaseClient but that sounds
> pretty fragile a bit hacky to me.

Isn't only the Handler that's currently handling the channel supposed
to call DelegateChannels on it? In this context, it'd make sense to me
to make the DelegateChannels high-level API *a part of* whatever
baseclass you derive from when being a Handler (AbstractClientHandler
in tp-qt4, and I guess just the generic TpBaseClient in tp-glib?).
Doing that, the API could sanity-check that the handler is in fact
handling the channel in question (from the current value of
HandledChannels) and update HandledChannels if the D-Bus call
succeeds.

--

Br,
Olli Salli