[Telepathy] Folks roadmap planning

Travis Reitter travis.reitter at collabora.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 08:07:28 PDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-28 at 08:57 +0100, Philip Withnall wrote:
> > === folks-0.6 ===
> >
> > These are to be finished during 0.5.x, with the 0.6.0 release in time
> > for Gnome 3.2 (or sooner)
> >
> > * Folks dummy backend (bgo#648811)
> > * QtFolks test suite (bmc#16787)
> > * support search-based contact retrieval (bgo#646808)
> > * lazy-loading attributes (bgo#648805)
> > * read-only EDS backend (bgo#638281)
> > * writable EDS backend (bgo#648818)
> > * EDS backend as the default primary (bgo#648818)
> > * better handle backends that require polling (bgo#643718)
> > * location support (bgo#627400)
> > * port to GSettings (from GConf) (bgo#647909)
> > * publish Folks docs (gtk-doc and valadoc) on website (bgo#641205)
>
> Getting a little ambitious if you also want to do 0.8.0 by GNOME 3.2, I
> think; but doing a 0.6.0 by 3.2 with these features should be OK. Do we
> have a date to work towards?

According to the Gnome 3.2 schedule, API/ABI/Feature freeze is August
15th, so we should have our API frozen before then. The Gnome/KDE
Desktop Summit is the week before, so let's target 0.6.0 for August 1st.

(This means pushing 0.8.x to after Gnome 3.2, which I'm fine with)

> > === folks-0.8 milestone ===
> >
> > These are to be finished during 0.7.x, with the 0.8.0 release possibly
> > by Gnome 3.2
> >
> > * make EmpathyContact unnecessary
> >     * the main goal is to ensure that we've got all our basic use cases
> > covered for Individual and Persona
> > * split the key-file and Tracker backends into their own modules
> >     * this serves two purposes:
> >         * ensuring we can properly handle third-party/out-of-tree
> > backends
> >         * keeping our core lean (since the EDS backend will be our
> > primary default at this point)
>
> I'm not so sure about splitting the key-file backend out into its own
> tree, since it only depends on libfolks (vs. the Tracker backend which
> also depends on Tracker).

Good point. The Tracker backend is definitely the better one to
experience maintainership as a third-party project as well.

-Travis