[Telepathy] [ssh-contact] Why do I need X11 running and is there a workaround for avoiding it?

Christophe-Marie Duquesne chm.duquesne at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 08:23:41 PDT 2011

Thanks for your answers!

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Simon McVittie
<simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>    eval `dbus-launch`

I had to use export rather than eval:
~/ > export $(dbus-launch)
~/ > ssh-contact
Error: The name org.freedesktop.Telepathy.AccountManager was not
provided by any .service files

I did not install empathy and thus I haven't configured any jabber
account yet. For ssh-contact to have some connections to grab, I guess
I need that. As a consequence, are there non-graphical telepathy
clients that can do this job?

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Xavier Claessens <xclaesse at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My second question:
>> Is there a way to tweak my ~/.ssh/config and to use directly
>> ssh-contact as a proxycommand for some hosts?
>
> I'm not expert of ssh config, dunno if this is possible...

Do you know netcat?
When you use 'netcat <host> <port>', it connects stdin and stdout to
the port of the given host. Well without getting into details ssh, can
connect to the io of another process like netcat. For example if you
add this in your .ssh/config:
Host localhost
    ProxyCommand netcat anotherhost %p

Then when you'll try ssh-ing localhost, you'll actually be redirected
on 'anotherhost'.

So being able to use ssh-contact as a proxycommand would thus require
being able to use ssh-contact as netcat:
'ssh-contact --netcat <contact> <port>' which would connect stdin and
stdout to the port of the given contact.

And you'd just need to put this in your .ssh/config:
Host mycontact
    ProxyCommand ssh-contact --netcat mycontact %p