[Telepathy] One big repository

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 08:17:15 PST 2011

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 at 15:38:58 +0000, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 18:44 +0000, Jonny Lamb wrote:
> > The other big advantage of this is that we can break the D-Bus spec
> > easily because the other components (notably tp-glib and tp-qt4) will
> > (hopefully) continue to be in sync.
>
> If any spec breakage implies an ABI break, then this is not so great.

I believe a prerequisite for this is splitting the current -ltelepathy-glib
into -ltelepathy-glib (high-level stuff, ABI break times measured in years)
and -ltelepathy-glib-lowlevel or something (things whose ABI is implied
by the D-Bus API, ABI breaks more frequently), and the corresponding change
to telepathy-qt4. -ltelepathy-glib would have a Requires.private on
-ltelepathy-glib-lowlevel.

(Implementation detail: to avoid a circular dependency there would probably
have to be a third library, -ltelepathy-glib-core or something, which is as
stable as -ltelepathy-glib but is depended on by -ltelepathy-glib-lowlevel.
As currently implemented it would have to contain TpHandle and TpProxy,
for instance.)