[Telepathy] Investigating QML + Telepathy

Bilhanan Silverajan Bilhanan.Silverajan at tut.fi
Thu Jul 28 03:27:16 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to discover telepathy's message handling capabilities
with the final intention of integrating it with Qt's QML.

My strategy is to first experiment with building a simple text-based chat
client using Salut and going through the developer's guide. I found an
example: gnio-sender.c which sends files to other clients over bonjour. I
intended to first understand how to use the framework with the
glib-based examples (in C or C++) and then create a qml ui to work with
Telepathy-Qt4.

Am I doing this wrong? I thought gnio.sender.c would be a great starting
point, but looking deeper into the documented function calls, several of
them are already deprecated. I've gone through the developer manual and
Telepathy-Qt4 examples several times, but I cannot appear to find the
simplest neccessary information (ie how to get a list of contacts, how to
send and receive messages etc). Which function calls/classes should I be
focusing on?

I hope someone can provide a few pointers as to where I can look. Whatever
I learn, I could publish it somewhere for others who want to learn
Telepathy to look at, as well. It'll be great if that happens.

Thanks for all your advice,
Bill