[Telepathy] Fwd: GSoC Project: Add OTR support to Telepathy/Empathy for XMPP

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 22:03:06 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-06-03 at 00:04 -0300, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:

> > You want the channel to be created immediately, without waiting for
> > network traffic, I think. This means the Empathy chat window can show
> > the user what's going on, as in a throbbing padlock or something while
> > the OTR session is initiated.
> >

> Isn't this the normal behavior for text channels? Does channels are
> created when the user opens the IM window, or when she starts typing
> (with the "peer is typing" notification message) ?

Typically requesting a channel is done when you do some action like
double clicking the contact. This creates the channel on the bus ASAP,
which is then passed to the Handler, which will do something like create
the window.

At this stage the handler will query for properties on the channel, like
whether you need a password to join (Chan.I.Password) or need to set up
some E2E encryption.

When someone else messages you, a channel is created in response to
this. This is again passed to the Handler, which can create a window and
then look up properties in the same way.

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk