[Telepathy] Telepathy 1.0 will never happen

Travis Reitter travis.reitter at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 30 12:08:40 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 18:17 +0100, Will Thompson wrote:
> Thoughts?

I think the biggest question would be how this affects API and ABI
stability guarantees (particularly for telepathy-glib and
telepathy-qt4).

Would we break API/ABI when moving components into the One Big Repo then
continue as we have done (adding API as DRAFT, un-drafting, and
deprecating old API)? Would we periodically flush out API that have been
deprecated for X days/releases?

Would we eventually aim for rotating stability guarantees?

My biggest sticking point with Telepathy has been how often "best
practices" for implementing or using any given feature has shifted
around. (I think this has gotten a bit better over time as the API have
matured though). We've been good about deprecation in general, but it
has, historically, been a bit of work to keep up with the
recommended/actively-supported API.

How would this proposal change these nominal and actual API/ABI
stabilities for CM and client developers relative to the standard
"branch 1.0, cut deprecated API, declare stability/victory" strategy?

Regards,
-Travis