[Telepathy] Skype libfolks backend

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Fri Oct 21 14:13:15 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-10-21 at 13:59 -0300, pablo.a.saavedra at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> are there any plans to write a libfolk backend for skype? Skype
> provides a DBus API for obtaining its contact, it's used by gnome-do
> and kupfer, it would be great if gnome-contacts could benefit from
> this.

There aren't any such plans. Since libfolks already has a Telepathy
backend, I think it would make more sense to write a Telepathy
connection manager for Skype instead.

There's been discussion about writing such a CM before, but I'm not sure
where it ended up. I guess there'll be something about it in the list
archives.

> BTW, is there any online documentation on how to write a libfolks
> backend?

Not really. The libfolks API documentation is linked to from here:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Folks. I suggest learning by
example from the source code here otherwise:
http://git.gnome.org/browse/folks.

Philip