[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: folks 0.6.3

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Sun Sep 18 11:36:03 PDT 2011

libfolks 0.6.2 is now available for download from:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/folks/0.6/

b64d02ccbd5c5bd82df7ef9c9ca3802a57de66c7349c42a79544083362d13820  folks-0.6.3.tar.bz2
e21810966f300b31e8cd51cca9851606213345eb933584997b49326c43b46e1b  folks-0.6.3.tar.xz

libfolks 0.6.3 — This would be no easy ride

Libfolks pulls together contacts from any number of accounts supported
by the libfolks backends. This release includes a number of backends,
including Telepathy, evolution-data-server, libsocialweb, Tracker, and
a simple key-file backend.

The 0.6.x series is API and ABI stable and corresponds to the GNOME 3.2
release. We will continue in the 0.6.x for the foreseeable future,
until we need to make further API or ABI breaks (which we don't
anticipate at this time). We will make an announcement when we
officially commit to API/ABI stability for the project as a whole.

See the NEWS file for details on every break we made. In future
releases, we will have example programs that will be kept up-to-date
with the latest API as well.

For more information, see the Folks wiki page:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Folks

Reference documentation is available here:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-eds/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-libsocialweb/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-telepathy/

Overview of changes from libfolks 0.6.2.1 to libfolks 0.6.3

Major changes:
* Cleanup of the definition of “writeable” which involves a couple of API
  deprecations and additions, and some internal re-working.
* Beginnings of standardising TYPE values for AbstractFieldDetails

Bugs fixed:
* Bug 658631 — crash at empathy startup
* Bug 658331 — Ensure read-only PersonaStores have empty writeable-properties
* Bug 658874 — Typo?
* Bug 658730 — ngettext (Plural forms) needed for
  "Imported %u buddies from '%s'."
* Bug 633781 — Allow to set avatar on individuals
* Bug 657142 — Automatically link e-d-s contacts with their contacts from
  telepathy
* Bug 658002 — defective typelib
* Bug 657065 — Cache keeps around contacts from disabled accounts
* Bug 658323 — Deprecate FOLKS_WRITEABLE_STORE in favour of FOLKS_PRIMARY_STORE
* Bug 659095 — Don't distribute typelib file
* Bug 659128 — If a persona store goes away we don't remove its personas
* Bug 657141 — Backend should ask eds for the default backend, not hardcode it
* Bug 658531 — Sometimes avatar caching doesn't work
* Bug 658328 — Return PropertyError.NOT_WRITEABLE from Persona property setters
  as appropriate
* Bug 646847 — We should rename _update () in Trf.Persona to something more less
  misleading
* Bug 658161 — Consistently use “contact” in translatable strings instead of
  “persona”
* Bug 657738 — Favorite people are not always displayed
* Bug 653623 — Would like a set of standard "type" parameters for UrlDetails

API changes:
* Individual.avatar is now settable using Individual.change_avatar() (not new
  API, but it no longer always returns an error)
* We now use the FOLKS_PRIMARY_STORE env var instead of FOLKS_WRITEABLE_STORE
  to configure the primary store
* Deprecate Folks.PersonaStore.is_writeable
* Add Folks.PersonaStore.is_primary_store
* Add Folks.IndividualAggregatorError.NO_PRIMARY_STORE
* In IndividualAggregator.ensure_individual_property_writeable we now throw
  NO_PRIMARY_STORE instead of NO_WRITEABLE_STORE
* Add Folks.PersonaStore.user_set_default
* Add AbstractFieldDetails.PARAM_TYPE, .PARAM_TYPE_HOME, .PARAM_TYPE_WORK,
  .PARAM_TYPE_OTHER
* Add UrlFieldDetails.PARAM_TYPE_HOME_PAGE, .PARAM_TYPE_BLOG,
  .PARAM_TYPE_PROFILE, .PARAM_TYPE_FTP

Dependencies
============
libfolks and depend upon core GNOME libraries (GLib, GIO, etc.), as well
as the recent releases of Vala and gobject-introspection.

The Telepathy backend also requires a recent release of telepathy-glib,
built to include its Vala bindings.

The EDS backend also requires a recent release of evolution-data-server,
built to include its Vala bindings.

The Tracker backend requires a recent version of Tracker.

The Libsocialweb backend requires a recent version of libsocialweb,
built to include the Vala bindings.

Contributing/Contact