[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: folks 0.7.0

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Tue Apr 17 05:30:22 PDT 2012

libfolks 0.7.0 is now available for download from:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/folks/0.7/

1dfff63c0dd1fdb6e2a12c386e4198e87de8e8c5ac2c8a97e5b84d31f845f938  folks-0.7.0.news
7bbf4094ff3b80bbead9c3934f86adcd7a335461aceed51cf9a16d11fe377f8f  folks-0.7.0.changes
861da1007e859e6bad43388a3bee56c31b3e9d003329086a5038fa6b19c6abf7  folks-0.7.0.tar.xz

libfolks 0.7.0 — Another name crossed off the list

Libfolks pulls together contacts from any number of accounts supported
by the libfolks backends. This release includes a number of backends,
including Telepathy, evolution-data-server, libsocialweb, Tracker, and
a simple key-file backend.

The 0.7.x unstable series corresponds to GNOME 3.6, leading up to a
0.8.x stable series when GNOME 3.6 is released. We will continue to
maintain API and ABI stability for the foreseeable future, with the
intention of having 0.8.x API compatible with 0.6.x. We will make an
announcement when we officially commit to API/ABI stability for the
project as a whole.

See the NEWS file for details on every break we made before 0.6.0. In
future releases, we will have example programs that will be kept
up-to-date with the latest API as well.

For more information, see the Folks wiki page:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Folks

Reference documentation is available here:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-eds/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-libsocialweb/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-telepathy/

Overview of changes from libfolks 0.6.9 to libfolks 0.7.0

Major changes:
* Folks now uses the Connection.ContactList Telepathy spec. instead of the
  deprecated Channel.ContactList. This means legacy Connection Managers
  (notably telepathy-butterfly) are not supported any more .

Bugs fixed:
• Bug 658576 — Need API to get a FolksIndividual from his ID
• Bug 671662 — Renamed alias of Facebook contact is not saved
• Bug 630822 — Support Connection.Interface.ContactList API

API changes:
• Add IndividualAggregator.look_up_individual()

Dependencies
============

libfolks and depend upon core GNOME libraries (GLib, GIO, etc.), as well
as the recent releases of Vala and gobject-introspection.

The Telepathy backend also requires a recent release of telepathy-glib,
built to include its Vala bindings.

The EDS backend also requires a recent release of evolution-data-server,
built to include its Vala bindings.

The Tracker backend requires a recent version of Tracker, built to
include its Vala bindings.

The Libsocialweb backend requires a recent version of libsocialweb,
built to include its Vala bindings.

Contributing/Contact