[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: folks 0.6.8

Philip Withnall philip at tecnocode.co.uk
Mon Mar 26 15:31:38 PDT 2012

libfolks 0.6.8 is now available for download from:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/folks/0.6/

d097b866e2f67b9ff64a953b438ee874d82bfac67ab035d444a8c0fa039d923c  folks-0.6.8.news
09e03dc1d5d8ba9ca29d16551816a678a422eca01c631fed40c42f63c20bb7e2  folks-0.6.8.changes
4ee18ce808315f27ab6bf9f7d2b438dd4c1042a8ab6836bb5058b6dce167e0b1  folks-0.6.8.tar.xz

libfolks 0.6.8 — You're better off empty and blank,
Than left with a single pathetic trace of this.

Libfolks pulls together contacts from any number of accounts supported
by the libfolks backends. This release includes a number of backends,
including Telepathy, evolution-data-server, libsocialweb, Tracker, and
a simple key-file backend.

The 0.6.x series is API and ABI stable and corresponds to the GNOME 3.4
release. We will continue in the 0.6.x for the foreseeable future,
until we need to make further API or ABI breaks (which we don't
anticipate at this time). We will make an announcement when we
officially commit to API/ABI stability for the project as a whole.

See the NEWS file for details on every break we made before 0.6.0. In
future releases, we will have example programs that will be kept
up-to-date with the latest API as well.

For more information, see the Folks wiki page:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Folks

Reference documentation is available here:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-eds/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-libsocialweb/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-telepathy/

Overview of changes from libfolks 0.6.7 to libfolks 0.6.8

Major changes:
* FOLKS_DEBUG has been removed in favour of G_MESSAGES_DEBUG (and the bug where
  folks would set G_MESSAGES_DEBUG for any process linked to it has been fixed)
* A --disable-fatal-warnings configure flag has been added for non-developers
* Update favourite status of EDS contacts with membership of the ‘Starred in
  Android’ Google Contacts group
* Improvements to linking suggestions (potential matches)
* Improvements to folks-inspect to make it a good command line citizen

Bugs fixed:
* Bug 670191 — IndividualAggregator::is-quiescent is never set to TRUE
* Bug 670523 — persona.vala:153:folks_persona_get_individual:
  assertion failed: (_tmp6_)
* Bug 672381 — invalid uninstantiatable type `<invalid>' in cast to
  `FolksIndividual'
* Bug 670347 — Check for null birthday strings
* Bug 661490 — Should mark contacts from the "Starred in Android" group as
  Favorites
* Bug 671714 — Fail to add contact to the contact list
* Bug 672373 — folks-import segfaults (Archlinux x86_64)
* Bug 670348 — Handle Telepathy CMs crashing/being invalidated
* Bug 671900 — Folks should not suggest linking contacts from telepathy-salut
* Bug 670872 — Should be less sensitive to accentuated chars
* Bug 669984 — Does not notify when contacts are added to groups
* Bug 660235 — Consistent signal handlers to a terminal would be cool
* Bug 671499 — Don't set G_MESSAGES_DEBUG unconditionally

API changes:
* Add MatchResult.NONE enum member

Dependencies
============
libfolks and depend upon core GNOME libraries (GLib, GIO, etc.), as well
as the recent releases of Vala and gobject-introspection.

The Telepathy backend also requires a recent release of telepathy-glib,
built to include its Vala bindings.

The EDS backend also requires a recent release of evolution-data-server,
built to include its Vala bindings.

The Tracker backend requires a recent version of Tracker.

The Libsocialweb backend requires a recent version of libsocialweb,
built to include the Vala bindings.

Contributing/Contact