[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: Folks 0.7.4

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Tue Sep 11 14:39:55 PDT 2012

libfolks 0.7.4 is now available for download from:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/folks/0.7/

sha256sum: c2d28c789e97cffb926e8e45c5b19cb355a299ecd7e9a63aea8642785809f5ef
folks-0.7.4.tar.xz

libfolks 0.7.4
Libfolks pulls together contacts from any number of accounts supported
by the libfolks backends. This release includes a number of backends,
including Telepathy, evolution-data-server, libsocialweb, Tracker, and
a simple key-file backend.

The 0.7.x unstable series corresponds to GNOME 3.6, leading up to a
0.8.x stable series when GNOME 3.6 is released. We will continue to
maintain API and ABI stability for the foreseeable future, with the
intention of having 0.8.x API compatible with 0.6.x. We will make an
announcement when we officially commit to API/ABI stability for the
project as a whole.

See the NEWS file for details on every break we made. In future
releases, we will have example programs that will be kept up-to-date
with the latest API as well.

For more information, see the Folks wiki page:
https://live.gnome.org/Folks

Reference documentation is available here:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-eds/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-libsocialweb/
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/doc/folks-telepathy/

Overview of changes from libfolks 0.7.3 to libfolks 0.7.4

Bugs fixed:
• Bug 681346 — Individual id can be inconsistent
• Bug 681420 — warning (vala 0.17.x): access to static class members through an
  instance variable
• Bug 664072 — Folks should only use assert*() for critical, program-terminating
  errors
• Bug 682572 — Build failures due to accessing static members
• Bug 682346 — build: Make telepathy backend optional
• Bug 682809 — Lazy instantiation of multi-valued properties
• Bug 682719 — eds test fails to compile
• Bug 683319 — Crash in individual-aggregator: _personas_changed_cb
• Bug 681164 — Folks-inspect linking fails
• Bug 680335 — empathy crashed with SIGSEGV in
  _tpf_persona_contact_weak_notify_cb()
• Bug 681726 — empathy crashed with SIGABRT in g_assertion_message()
• Bug 683452 — gnome-contacts starts up with an empty address book
• Bug 681476 — folks-inspect could use some methods to set values
• Bug 683390 — Individuals sometimes not removed when disabling their
Telepathy account
• Bug 683267 — Warning when starting in non group mode
• Bug 683093 — Crash in
  __tpf_persona_store_self_contact_changed_cb_g_object_notify

API changes:
• Add PropertyError.UNAVAILABLE

Dependencies
============
libfolks and depend upon core GNOME libraries (GLib, GIO, etc.), as well
as the recent releases of Vala and gobject-introspection.

The Telepathy backend also requires a recent release of telepathy-glib,
built to include its Vala bindings, and libzeitgeist.

The EDS backend also requires a recent release of evolution-data-server,
built to include its Vala bindings.

The Tracker backend requires a recent version of Tracker.

The Libsocialweb backend requires a recent version of libsocialweb,
built to include the Vala bindings.

Contributing/Contact