[Telepathy] How to handle a lost closed signal

Tiago Katcipis katcipis at inf.ufsc.br
Fri Sep 27 05:12:32 PDT 2013

Hi,

I'm reading the telepathy specification and i have a doubt that i was
unable to find a answer until now, when a channel is created you start to
create a proxy to the new channel, but then the closed (http://telepathy.
freedesktop.org/spec/Channel.html#Signal:Closed) signal is emitted, but
before you can catch it since you are still on the process of creating a
proxy to it, how you handle this kind of race condition on DBus objects?

I'm actually writing a DBus spec and thinking on how this kind of situation
can be handled on objects that have a limited lifetime, specially calls,
since a call can be received and terminated pretty quickly, causing some
problems.

One way is to have a well know bus-name and object-path that notifies about
the channel being closed, but then it seems to be useless to have the
signal on the created object since you are obligated to monitor the signal
on the well know object to avoid losing the signal of the recently created
object.

But since I'm very new to DBus I'm asking this here since i may be missing
something pretty basic :-)

Best regards,
Tiago Katcipis