[Telepathy] Announce: telepathy-spec 0.99.1

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Sep 30 05:33:37 PDT 2013

Hi,

On 09/17/2013 07:01 PM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> The aims of Telepathy 1 include:
>
> • Don't have many deprecated ways to do the same thing
> • Reduce complexity
> • Increase agility by making it less painful to add D-Bus API
> • Increase agility by making it less painful to break D-Bus API -
>    it shouldn't take 8 years to get from Telepathy 1 to Telepathy 2

glad to see this effort! :-)
About especially the "reduce complexity" point, I have some concerns
about the ChannelRequest object. You might remember that in Maemo times
I added an RequestChannel interface to the Account object:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/telepathy/telepathy-mission-control/tree/xml/Account_Interface_ChannelRequests.xml?id=telepathy-mission-control-5.8.0

While it is indeed arguable whether the Account object is the best place
for this interface, the advantage of the interface we had in Maemo was
that it required less D-Bus traffic to accomplish the same goal because
the operation result was delivered on the same interface,  and there was
no need to wait for the ChannelRequest object to be created and
subscribe to its signals (which also adds the need for the Proceed()
method found in the newer ChannelRequest object).

So, to keep it short, what do you think about sacrificing a little of
the API beauty for avoiding roundtrips (and, in general, to minimize
D-Bus traffic)?

On a side note: would it be possible to move telepathy to its own bus,
(so that it could be given higher/lower priority depending on the device
profile) or would that require changes to the spec?

Ciao,
   Alberto