[Telepathy] telepathy-reSIProcate connection manager

Alexandr Akulich akulichalexander at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 11:19:39 PDT 2015

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Debarshi Ray <rishi.is at lostca.se> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 04:30:00PM +0600, Alexandr Akulich wrote:
>> There is many differences between qt and glib bindings.
>> The first one is mature and stable, while the last one is still in
>> development and can introduce some small API changes.
>
> Eh?
Please, clarify your question. :)

> Cheers,
> Debarshi
I'm not familiar with gtk/glib, but telepathy-glib based connection
managers exists for a long time. It is the main protocol
implementation, so it have all of the features. TpGlib also have a
stable branch, I don't know about warranties though.
At the same time, (in TpQt) we still have to polish the API. Most
noticeable changes are BaseConnection::createChannel()/ensureChannel()
[1] and BaseChannel::create() signature changes. My reasons is that
the library was been useless for any big-enough CM, so we had a chance
to improve it, until it's carved in stone. I try to reduce the issues
because of the changes. I added the TP_QT_VERSION and
TP_QT_VERSION_CHECK macros, which made it possible to maintain
backward-compatible code in CM and I'm in contact with probably all
other Qt-based CM developers and help them in porting.
IMO, 0.9.6 is the first really applicable release, but again, I have
an API change for 0.9.7 [3]. Probably, there would be group-related
changes as well.

Depend on available time, I'm planning to finally consolidate the API
at 0.9.7 and made the release with shared library instead of static.
After all, we'll have yet another chance to fix the API with 1.0
release in some distant future. To be said, there is at least eight
telepathy-glib release with API breaks on the long road to final
Telepathy-1.0 implementation.

Everything said is about Telepathy services, *not* a client side library.

[1] https://github.com/TelepathyQt/telepathy-qt/commit/2263a6459de9c50269da4630a563e4e4bff0fc82
[2] https://github.com/TelepathyQt/telepathy-qt/commit/00f2d5a0533743b01be6af069349942097bb91a3
[3] https://github.com/TelepathyQt/telepathy-qt/commit/4542429f839ad328a800e2d69917efbb2f63a6ad