[Telepathy] future of Telepathy?

Debarshi Ray rishi.is at lostca.se
Mon Apr 25 14:48:06 UTC 2016

Hey,

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 03:41:20PM +0200, Dominik George wrote:
> WhatsApp uses XMPP. It is slightly modified to force people to use the
> official client, but it is XMPP.

The technical details are largely irrelevant. What matters is that,
the way things stand today, a GNOME user can't use Whatsapp with
Telepathy, and nobody is doing the work to change that.

>> None of the XMPP-based free VoIP options ever worked reliably. They
>> were spotty at best.
>
> That was years ago. Look at Jitsi, the Jitsi video bridge and Jitsi Meet.
>
> The main issue with XMPP-based VoIP is client implementations.
>
> [...]
>
> I don't mean to be rude, and I think the Telepathy developers sure do a good
> job, but please do not blame it on XMPP itself.

I wasn't blaming XMPP. I am sorry if I didn't communicate it clearly.
I was talking about the free implementations of the various VoIP
options inside Telepathy.

Cheers,
Rishi