[Telepathy] status of empathy and XMPP in telepathy

Alexandr Akulich akulichalexander at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 10:35:15 UTC 2016

Hi Michael,

I'm one of the TelepathyQt-based XMPP Connection Manager developer.
Because of distributed nature of Telepathy, there is no technical problem,
but indeed, may be GNOME Project would try to avoid it.

Telepathy-Nonsense (the CM) is at an early stage of development, literally
yesterday I committed initial group chat support, implemented incoming and
outgoing invitation and turned on ClientType interface. There are many
things which needs to be implemented before 0.1 release.

On the other side, telepathy-gabble seems to have implemented everything
mentioned in the Telepathy specification and I don't see any "low hanging
fruit" here.
Instead, in order to add a feature, you'll need to 1) design its draft
specification (which should be "necessary and sufficient" for a number of
protocols), 2) implement it in a connection manager, 3) implement it in a
client, 4) get reviews, 5) polish everything.

IMO the first step is the hardest and most important one and of course we
can work on it together. For a half of features it would just about 15
lines of code for #2 (a connection manager) and something similar for #3 (a
client) so it's not a big deal to duplicate efforts here.