[Telepathy] Project revival?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Thu Jun 9 15:47:26 UTC 2016

On 09/06/16 17:02, George Kiagiadakis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> For those of you that don't know me, I'm an old kde-telepathy &
> telepathy-qt developer who's been inactive in telepathy for a couple of
> years. Recently I've been looking again into what is going on in this
> project and it looks like it's dead, which is a pity. However, I can see
> there is some limited activity around telepathy-qt, with some people
> writing new Qt-based CMs (cool!). This little activity makes me hope
> that maybe it's possible to revive the rest of the project?
>
> I'm basically writing this email to declare my interest in attempting a
> revival. I think free communication is quite important and it's being
> neglected a lot recently in the FOSS world, which motivates me enough to
> spend some time again in this project.
>
> As a start, I would like to get in touch with all of you who are still
> working on something related to telepathy. It would be nice to start a
> conversation about project needs and future plans. So, if you are
> interested, please get in touch. I am 'gkiagia' on irc and various other
> places on the internet.

George, thanks for being proactive about this

Several students are participating as part of GSoC this year, under the
umbrella of the Debian project

One thing that would help a lot is increasing the pool of mentors, some
students are sharing a mentor at the moment.  If you or anybody else
with C, C++ or Python experience can volunteer as a mentor, please
contact me privately.

Another thing I would encourage is joining the Free-RTC mailing list,
that is where we discuss some of the more strategic possibilities with
free software, not just limited to Telepathy: