[Telepathy] How to name Ring.cx Telepathy Connection Manager

Stepan Salenikovich stepan.salenikovich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 15:49:03 UTC 2016

Hi,
I'm a developper on the ring.cx project. There are a couple of GSoC
students working on a Telepathy CM for Ring.

I posted this question on the Ring mailing list, but sadly didn't get any

There is also a question about how to name the "Ring" protocol. Ring
basically uses a DHT (openDHT) as a transport to then negotiate an
encrypted SIP session for audio/video calls. Text messages are currently
just sent encrypted over the DHT directly (no SIP negotiation). So a good
protocol name is probably something like "Ring-dht", I suppose.

Telepathy-ring is already taken, and the telepathy spec also warns against
naming the CM the same as the protocol:
https://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Connection_Manager.html#Simple-Type:Connection_Manager_Name

Some proposed pun names from the #ring IRC so far:
telepathy-bell
telepathy-hoop
telepathy-single-ladies
telepathy-doughnut
telepathy-lord_of_the
telepathy-o
telepathy-my-precious

Does anyone else have any good suggestions for either the name of the CM
and/or the protocol?

Thanks,
-stepan