[Telepathy] requestHandles method behaviour

Alexandr Akulich akulichalexander at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 22:09:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 2:57 AM, Mateus Bellomo <mateusbellomo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The identifier <-> handle map is not the "contact list". Under
>> "contact list" I mean contacts, which e.g. would be returned by
>> Connection.Interface.ContactList GetContactListAttributes().
>
> So in this case you could hold entries like (1,mateus2) and
> (2,mateus2 at test.sip5060.net) in the map that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Yes. Just a few extra bytes in memory.

> And if so, then you would have another way of getting the 'official' contact
> list (like [1] and [2]), right?
>
> [1]
> https://github.com/TelepathyQt/telepathy-nonsense/blob/master/connection.cc#L499
> [2]
> https://github.com/TelepathyQt/telepathy-morse/blob/master/connection.cpp#L661

You're right, there should be an "official" list and nonsense do it
right, but in Morse there are some Telegram-specific tricks and the
list is not filtered properly.
In Telegram in order to add someone to your contact list you need to
know their phone number. On the other side, you don't have to add
everyone "interesting" to you contacts, because you can access them
via Dialogs — a list of recent conversation.
Telepathy does not support conception of "Dialogs", so in Morse I have
to include such known contacts into Contact List, because it will be
very inconvenient to use the client otherwise.