[Uim] Descriptive names

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Wed Dec 10 13:11:32 EET 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:02:03 +0100
David Oftedal <david at start.no> wrote:

> Hmm, that wouldn't work very well under GTK+ 2, since the menu that
> lists the available input methods is an internal GTK+ 2 thing. I
> thought Ken's solution looked very neat though; could that be done
> within the available space?
>
> Japanese (uim-anthy)
> Japanese (uim-skk)
> Chinese (uim-py)
>
> I think even a gaijin would be able to understand that. ;)

 I agree that current descriptions are not kind. But I think emphasizing
language is not good, because some InputMethod can input plural languages.
I think following is appropriate.

uim-anthy (or simply anthy) (Japanese)
uim-skk (Japanese)
uim-py (Chinese)

Do you think about them? If there is no objection, I'll change
descriptions thus.

> On another note, can I really use uim in XIM? I'd be interested in
> testing that out, especially since I'm not very happy with kinput2. I
> mean, if I could just toss kinput2 and forget about it forever, I'd be
> delighted.

# I think, it's better to divide different subject into different mail ;-)

 uim-xim works actually. But it depends LOCALE variable. So, for
example, if you want input japanese with uim-xim, you should export
LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP or ja_JP.UTF-8 .

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki