[Uim] Do you plan to make uim-openoffice?

Hideki Hiura hiura at openi18n.org
Mon Aug 9 20:12:04 EEST 2004

> From: Takuro Ashie <ashie at good-day.co.jp>
> James Su <suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn> wrote:
> >   Mr. Hideki told me that they will implement native gtk2 immodule
> > support in OOo, so that all available gtk2 immodules can be used with
> > OOo. I think it's the best short term approach for OOo to get rid off xim.
> >   You may ask him about this issue.
> If he means "vcl-plugin", I already know it.

Yes, that's what I have refereed to during the discussion with James.

The idea behind this in regard with IM Framework is to use gtk+ immodule
in SO/SS/OOo regardless with the desktop, along with all the other
similar issues.

> The page pointed out by Hiroshi describes my hesitation about
> implementing immodule for "pure X" layer. Although "vcl-plugin" seems
> solves almost all IM related problems on OOo, "pure X" layer still
> depend on XIM, and we have to wait OOo 2.0 to use it. I want to solve it
> if possible, but it seems high cost.

Although Philipp explained that you may use the Xlib binding for non
GNOME desktop, you shouldn't have to use the Xlib binding once gtk+
binding becomes very stable and available on any desktops.
As far as gtk+ and gtk+ binding are stable and available on a particular
platform you use, I don't see any reasons to rather choose Xlib binding.

Do you want to do something for the platforms which does not carry
libgtk? ....if so, I am not sure if it is worth it.

Although, creating the Qt binding wouldn't be a bad idea.

> (I'm not sure about OOo, so I don't know whether "vcl-plugin" surely
> solves almost all problems or not.)

Do you have particular problems that you are concerned about?

--
hiura@{freestandards.org,OpenI18N.org,li18nux.org,unicode.org,sun.com}
Chair, OpenI18N.org/The Free Standards Group          http://www.OpenI18N.org