[Uim] uim-xim only works with japanese locale?

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Tue Aug 10 22:24:24 EEST 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:08:59 +0900
Etsushi Kato <ekato at ees.hokudai.ac.jp> wrote:

> > I'm thinking that we should rewrite our uim-xim with IMdkit, but
> > there seems no time to do so.
>
> I'm also planning clean up of uim-xim, and doing some in my
> spare time now.

That's great!!

> Could you explain the advantage of using IMdkit?
> IMHO, Tabata-san's uim-xim code is simple, and having sufficient
> (or basic) XIM support.  The main problem I recognize
> about current uim-xim is lack of locale support except for
> Japanese, and I don't think it is very hard to implement this on
> current code basis.

The problems which I feel to current code of uim-xim are:

1. Supporting only Japanese locale

    It's the same problem as yours.

2. Sometimes unstable

    I don't gain an understanding of when uim-xim causes segmentation
fault, but sometimes it causes segv.

3. Written in C++

    I'm not detailed in C++. (And, I think a basic library such as input
method library should be written in C, but uim-xim is a server, so in
this case there's no problem about ABI.)
   If I have to rewrite, I'll use only C. But that's not a problem if
you do clean up.

4. It has some little bugs.

   E.G. We cannot select texts by shift + arrow keys if uim-xim is
enabled.  I tried but couldn't fix the bug. (I forgot other bugs, but
they aren't so big.)

But, as a conclusion, if you feel that code of uim-xim is appropriate, I
have no objection. Obviously you are more detailed in XIM than me.

> BTW, as I impressed with recent post of Ashie-san's gtk
> uim-switch-im patch, I experimentally apply this feature on
> uim-xim.  With the idea of branch-leaf mechanism of helper applet,
> uim-xim can get dynamic back-end engines selection too.
> Please review the attached patch.

Sorry, I don't test your patch yet. I want to discuss about switching
mechanism on other thread.

> Since current uim-xim creates some XimServer instances for
> corresponding back-end engines, and requires user to set
> XMODIFIERS=@im=uim-(engine) for each back-end to use.
> In my patch, I changed using @server=uim only, which requires
> XMODIFIERS=@im-uim.  And added command line option to
> select default engine (like uim-xim --engine=prime, default is
> anthy).

It seems XMODIFIERS=@im=uim, rather than @im-uim, right?

Regards,

--