[Uim] Re: uim-xim only works with japanese locale?

gabor farkas gabor at z10n.net
Tue Aug 10 21:36:29 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-10 at 09:27, James Su wrote:
> Hi,
>   I think the best way is to use SCIM as the unified frontend anywhere.
> So you may use scim-uim-anthy via both XIM and gtk2 immodule and qt
> immodule (future).

thanks...

i install scim + scim-uim,
and i have some questions:

1. in what is scim-uim-anthy better than scim-m17n-anthy? i couldn't
find any differences.... :(

2.i've got trouble configuring the whole thing.
-i used the gtk configuration tool, and selected a shortcut in
FrontEnd/X-Window (this is the place to set the keyb.shortcuts for XIM
and GTK2 too?)
-i've set the trigger to Control+wdows_key (Super_L)
-so now, when i run a gtk2 or xim app, i press control+windows key, and
scim starts up. (i also set GTK_IM_MODULE to scim)
-so far so good
-but now..scim seems to be to a complete input module, but i do not need
that. i only want to input japanese :) (btw. when is for example the
english-keyboard mode useful?)
-so i had to select japanese/uim-anthy as the input method. scim seems
to remember it, so now when i click control+windows_key, it starts in
uim-anthy mode
-the problem: scim-uim-anthy himself seems to have some params, and i
don't know what those are...well:
	there are 2 boxes shown:
		-the first one i understand. it switches between normal text input /
hiragana/katakana/whatever
		-the second one i don't know what it does.
-my problem is that i don't know how to switch from normal-text input to
hiragana for example. yes, i always can click on it and select hiragana,
but that's far from perfect. so, is there a keyb shortcut?

-generally my problem with scim is that there are so many ways i don't
know what to use.

what i want:
-i want mostly write english text, and when i need japanese input, i
simply press a keyboard shortcut, and i can start entering
hiragana/katakana/and-so-on.
	-but how should i achieve it?
	-should i have scim selected as the input module, and use the 'trigger'
key to switch to the uim-anthy mode?
	-or should i be ALWAYS in uim-anthy mode (in his
english/romaji/whatever mode), and when in need of japanese then switch
it to hiragana?

-or, to write this the other way:
	-how do you use uim (scim-uim?)
	-what's the keyb shortcut to switch between scim-uim-anthy's modes?

sorry for the long mail, and thanks a lot,
gabor farkas

p.s: for me it seems that using just uim (without scim) worked perfectly
(except the XIM thing). it did exactly what i needed and not more :(..or
can you tell me some interesting features of scim that uim doesn't have?