Pluggable module support in uim(was Re: [Uim] Will you upload daily snapshots of UIM?)

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Wed Dec 15 12:41:23 EET 2004

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:49:05 +0800
James Su <suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn> wrote:

>   Maybe you should have a look at the design of scim to see how does
> scim support modules. I have a plan to write a scheme imengine for
> scim to enable writing input method for scim with scheme directly.
> However scim-uim + uim is just an implementation.

I recommend you don't waste your time for scheme imengine, from some
reasons. The main reason is that, scim is using C++. Though personally
I'm thinking basic library such as input method library shouldn't use
C++, it's a fact that C++ is powerfull, pure C is poor. For uim, scheme
is worth, because uim using very poor C only. Uim only depends on iconv.
It doesn't demand any other special library. Scheme is small and
flexible (= powerfull), so for us, scheme is important. However, for
scim, the demerit of scheme would be bigger than a merit. Demerit is
that many people hate scheme.

>   I'm just thinking if it's possible to use a standard (unified) C API
> as the glue layer. So imagine, all im modules in uim uses such API,
> and uim, scim and other frameworks (iiimf etc.) both support loading
> such modules. Then scim can provide a module to support such API, uim
> can make use of any scim input methods by loading such module. Is it
> amazing enough?

That's greatest if possible. I'll comment to your next mail.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
http://kodou.net/