[Uim] Standalone scm file crashing GTK

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Mon Feb 9 09:43:50 EET 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 10:48:52PM +0900, yusuke at cherubim.icw.co.jp wrote:
> > > Yeah... XIM is OK if you don't wanna switch methods inside a program and
> > > love changing your global system locale and setting environment vars,
> > > but I personally loathe XIM and hope it disappears quickly before more
> > > people get traumatized by it. ;)
> I already have been deeply traumatized when I wrote uim-xim's code. XD
> XIM protocol is a kind of rotten beast.

> > LOL. There is that....

> > Although you can make uim switch methods internally, as I understand it
> > (haven't tried it) and sometimes you can make XIM work without screwing
> > with locale settings... kinput2 let me do it, uim-xim (so far) doesn't.
> Input method switch between Japanese input methods can be possible.
> However, XIM's UTF-8 handling is somehow broken and it seems hard to
> fix. So you can't switch between non Japanese languages.
> More importantly, no one including me want to fix the situation.

> We already have an almost full featured and internationalized
> input method framework with gtk+ and one of my friend is trying
> to implement nearly same features for Qt.
> (http://www.kde.gr.jp/~daisuke/immodule_for_qt/pukiwiki/?FrontPage Japanese)
> I think input methods should be implemented in high level toolkit layer,
> and Xlib should only be an abstraction layer of hardwares.
> So it is better for us to make effort on this direction.

I must say the gtk+ input framework seems a lot better than XIM.
However, it by its nature works only in gtk+.

> I want uim-xim to remain as a kludge for old Japanese applications.

And also for my poor self, using UXTerm (xterm -8 I guess. I just hit
it in the Debian menu :-) to ssh into my various other UTF-8 servers.

In fact, the only gtk+ applications I frequently run are
Mozilla-Firebird and gjiten... And Mozilla Firebird doesn't work with
XIM, although gjiten did.

> ;However, I want to make it better kludge. Feel free to report bugs.

If I can come up with anything useful, I certainly will. :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.