[Uim] How to turn on the input method as soon as the uc is created?

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 1 08:58:57 EEST 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 01:23:21AM +0900, yusuke at cherubim.icw.co.jp wrote:
> >   Is it possible to turn on the input method (switch to the conversion
> > mode) by a function call, as soon as the uc is created? Because you
> > know, scim uses its own toggle hotkey. Users must first open scim by
> > pressing ctrl-space and then open uim by pressing shift-space. It will
> > be better if uim can be opened by default when scim is opened.

> Perhaps we need more discussion about this issue. Anyway, I explain
> uim's implementation. Currently, uim assumes on/off state of input
> method is private value of input context and do not allow front end to
> manipulate it explicitly.
> uim's input context is designed to accept all key event and decide to
> through the event or not by private status.

> I think this behaviour is same as other OSs like Windows or MacOS.
> Imagine if you are writing input method with English spell checker,
> input method will always need all key events.

> Of course this can be changed, e.g. implemnt forced on/off API to uim.

I would think that a generic API would be useful, as the opposite data
flow of the (generic) helper API we have now... Generic structure, but
the data itself is driven by the input method.

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking something along the lines of that, with
"helpers" able to make keystroke calls from the scheme files, with the
names used in the scheme files, eg. send 'dokey generic-on-key' to uim
and it processes it as it would if the key that's define-key'd to that
was pressed.

That'd allow helpers to work genericly, or even to send some backend's
private keystrokes as neccessary.

That way, SCIM could send 'generic-on-key' to uim when using scim-uim,
and let UIM work out what backend gets the keystroke. This would allow
SCIM to control UIM based on _its_ keystrokes... Of course, if we keep
to that path, UIM ends up being just a backend library for using input
methods it provides, but without a user interface. (Since scim-uim can
use the UIM helper API to populate its taskbar thingy with the sort of
details the uim helpers display now, if it doesn't already.)

I should point out I've not gotten around to compiling SCIM 0.99, so I
haven't actually tried it with UIM yet. So I may be (a) wrong; (b) too
late, and everything I've said is already present; or (c) both. :-)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.