[Uim] Uim Users' Document

Jon Babcock jon at kanji.com
Tue Mar 30 20:54:39 EEST 2004

Ohta-san,

Thanks for writing the Uim User document. It's a great start! Much
appreciated.

Here is a list of *very minor* edits/corrections to your document. These
only affect the English, not the actual content.

not adopt Client/Server framework --> not adopt a Client/Server framework

a bridge between Input Method(engine) and GUI Framework(also Console).
--> a bridge between an Input Method (engine) and the GUI Framework
(also, the Console).

Please look at this figure. --> Please look at figure 1-1.

[[[Since the WARNING class is displaying on my browser as "Warning", the
Alt= maybe should be Alt="Warning:"]]]

Some people say that Uim still bases on XIM, but this is wrong. --> Some
people say that Uim is still based on XIM, but this is wrong.

Certainly Uim can also deal with XIM, but uim-xim is only one way to
communicate with Application. -->  Uim can employ XIM by means of
uim-xim but this is only one way to communicate with an Application.

Pin Yin --> PY (I.e., Pinyin) [[[To correspond to the actual name, PY.scm]]]

ebuild is provided as Portage.(app-i18n/uim) -->  An ebuild is provided
  under Portage. (app-i18n/uim)

Ports is provided. --> A port is provided.
Please excute following commands. --> Please execute the following commands.

You can download sourcecode from -->  You can download the UIM source
code from

methods(written in Scheme) --> methods (written in Scheme)

, Gnome applet for indicating the state of input method. --> and Gnome
applet for indicating the state of the input method.

So there's no need for you to download anymore. --> So there's no need
for you to download anything else.

you must install header files for Gtk+2.x. --> you must install all
header files for Gtk+2.x. [[[More info here ??]]]

Like this, if you want to create XIM Server, it requires you to install
X header files. --> [[[ This sentence is not clear. Needs to be
rewritten. ]]]

Subversion repositry --> Subversion repository

If you install by using binary package, there is no operation to do.
--> If you have installed one of the binary packages  (Debian, Redhat,
etc.) no further configuration is needed.

But please excute this command if you installed uim from Source Code.
--> But please execute this command if you installed uim from source.

  or adding the output of "gtk-query-immodules-2.x
/usr/local/lib/gtk-2.x/2.x.x/immodules/im-uim.so" to
/etc/gtk-2.x/gtk.immodules --> [[[Sorry, I don't understand this. What
does 'or' mean here.]]]

If you use other engine, you should meet the situation like uim-skk,
uim-prime or so. ---> If you use a different conversion engine (e.g.,
uim-skk, uim-prime), substitute the name of that engine for "-anthy" in
the above example.

Again, I think you did a great job and look forward to the development
of solid documentation for UIM. Thanks.

Jon