[Uim] Re: Turning on/off m17n-lib should be implemented to m17n-lib layer?

Kenichi Handa handa at m17n.org
Thu Oct 28 14:41:08 EEST 2004

In article <20041028195804.4cd487a7.tkng at xem.jp>, TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki <tkng at xem.jp> writes:
[...]
>>  A key to turn on an input method is managed
>>  (i.e. defined/customized) by input-method broker such as uim
>>  and SCIM.  And, an IM broker can use multiple input-method
>>  engines in background.  In this case, if each IM engine
>>  defines its own key to turn off an input method, a usr have
>>  to remember which key to turn off which input method.  It's
>>  a very inconvenient situation.  So, I think a key to turn
>>  off an input emthod should also defined/customized at IM
>>  broker level (I believe using the same key for turning on
>>  and off is the best).

> Key binds is used not only for on/off toggling, but also for selecing a
> candidate, etc. From that point of view, do you agree that all key bind
> should be unified (and customizable by users)?

That's desirable, but for that, we must abstract all
possible user operations, which is not realistic.  But, at
least, a key for turning on/off should be regarded as a
higher (or meta) level operation methods and such a key must
be consistent through all input methods (at least per user).

> Anyway, I see your opinion, I'll implement on/off feature to uim-m17n-*.

Thank you.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa at m17n.org