[Uim] Re: Fun with autoconf and friends [patches included]

Etsushi Kato ekato at ees.hokudai.ac.jp
Mon Feb 21 03:10:45 EET 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 05:24:57PM +0100,
Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai at wxs.nl> wrote:

> On my DragonFly (FreeBSD 4-derived OS) machine I am trying to get uim up and
> working.  I am using a snapshot from a few hours ago and running configure I
> am getting this funny sequence:
>
> checking for iconv... /usr/local/bin/iconv
> checking for msgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
> checking for msgmerge... /usr/local/bin/msgmerge
> checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
> checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/libexec/binutils212/elf/ld
> checking if the linker (/usr/libexec/binutils212/elf/ld) is GNU ld... yes
> checking for shared library run path origin... ./config.rpath: Can't open ./config.rpath: No such file or directory
> done
> checking for iconv... no, consider installing GNU libiconv
> configure: error: Could not find iconv (required for uim)

[...]

> I call configure with --prefix=/usr/X11R6 though, so it seems that the
> configure script tries to do a linking to -liconv, which is located in
> /usr/local/lib and is not specified on the command line compilation within
> configure:
>
> + eval echo configure:20236: "$CC -o conftest$ac_exeext $CFLAGS $CPPFLAGS
> $LDFLAGS conftest.$ac_ext $LIBS >&5"
> + echo configure:20236: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  -liconv >&5
> + ac_status=1
>
> Adding explicit CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include and LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib
> prior to the configure invocation solves this, but the message from
> configure is quite misleading in this aspect, since the problem is libiconv.
> [See attached patch for suggestion.]

Thanks for your report.  Our repository lacked config.rpath file even
though we use AM_ICONV in autoconf.

I just added the file to the repository.  Please try ./configure
--libiconv-prefix=/usr/local later.  Also I'll update ambiguous error
message about iconv(3).

Cheers,
--
Etsushi Kato