[Uim] GTK+ version dependency

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Wed Jan 5 15:12:11 EET 2005

Hi Hiroyuki,

At Mon, 3 Jan 2005 07:33:17 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:
> Uim consists from several parts. i.e.
>
>  * libuim - core library, depends on iconv and libc only.
>  * GTK+ immodule - GTK+ bridge, require GTK+ 2.2 or higher
>  * GTK+ helpers - toolbar, switcher, require GTK+ 2.2 or higher
(snip)
> If I remember correctly, GTK+ helpers of uim 0.4.5 requires at least
> GTK+ 2.2. But already GTK+ 2.6 was released, I think GTK+ 2.4 is popular
> enough to depends.
>
> If no one is opposed, I'll make GTK+ helpers to require GTK+ 2.4
> tomorrow. (If you have an objection and I already made such change,
> don't worry, please send me the objection. We can revert easily.)

You had changed as all part of uim including GTK+ immodule is
depending on GTK+ 2.4 or higher. It should be fixed as you said.

Regardless of uim should require which version at least, I think
that uim programmers should ensure that which GTK+ API functions
used in uim are depending on which version of GTK+, rather than
just try compiling and running on developer's
environment. i.e. see 'Since 2.x' message of reference manual.

And if a developer want to use new feature of GTK+ higher than
required version, the code fragments must be enclosed in version
dependent part as following.

helper/toolbar-common-gtk.c:
#if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2, 4, 0)
      gtk_check_menu_item_set_draw_as_radio(GTK_CHECK_MENU_ITEM(menu_item), TRUE);
#endif

Habitize such process will prevent version mismatch trouble such
as in uim 0.4.4.

>  * (Qt immodule and Qt helpers are not merged yet.)

What is 'merged'?

>  * uim-fep  - front end processer require nothing

This description may confuses someone.

How about 'terminal bridge'?

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp