[Uim] A proposal of unified input method C API.

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Wed Jan 5 18:54:29 EET 2005

# Please reply to unified-im-api-devel at lists.sourceforge.net

Hi,

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:26:46 +0800
James Su <suzhe at tsinghua.org.cn> wrote:

>   For the feature of surrounding, we considered it some time ago. But
> because it's hard to implement in some framework, eg. XIM, IIIMF, SCIM
> etc., and this API is designed for all possible frameworks. So we must
> ensure that at least the major frameworks can support this API.

I think that newly created API shouldn't restrected by old frameworks.
Maybe we can't support surrounding text in XIM(I don't know much about
XIM, so I can't assert). But, there will be a way to support surrounding
text. For example, surrounding text related function may fail if user
uses a XIM server, will be one answer. If an IM developer knows
'surrounding text related function may fail', there's no problem.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki
tkng at xem.jp