[Uim] GTK+ version dependency

YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Wed Jan 5 22:23:53 EET 2005

At Thu, 6 Jan 2005 04:31:19 +0900,
tkng at xem.jp wrote:

> On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 03:55:04 +0900
> YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
>
> > At Thu, 6 Jan 2005 03:12:32 +0900,
> > tkng at xem.jp wrote:

> > > I changed only version checking from GTK+ 2.2 to GTK+ 2.4. Except
> > > this, nothing was changed.
> >
> > It's the problem.
>
> It's not a problem. GTK+ immodule requires 2.2 and GTK+ helpers requires
> 2.4 is too confusing, users wouldn't understand such dependency.

You said "I'll make GTK+ *helpers* to require GTK+ 2.4".

And you also said so (immodule will not requires GTK+ 2.2) to me
before if I remember correctly. So I had determined your
modification to configure.ac is an error.

> The problem is that 'GTK+2.4 is popular enough or not'. I'm standing on
> GTK+ 2.4 is popular enough, so required GTK+ 2.4.

Okay, you had intended it for immodule also.

But what you said sounds for me as "I want to be loose". So I
said as following as related issue.

At Wed, 05 Jan 2005 22:12:11 +0900,
yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp wrote:
> Regardless of uim should require which version at least, I think
> that uim programmers should ensure that which GTK+ API functions
> used in uim are depending on which version of GTK+, rather than
> just try compiling and running on developer's
> environment. i.e. see 'Since 2.x' message of reference manual.
>
> And if a developer want to use new feature of GTK+ higher than
> required version, the code fragments must be enclosed in version
> dependent part as following.
>
> helper/toolbar-common-gtk.c:
> #if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2, 4, 0)
>       gtk_check_menu_item_set_draw_as_radio(GTK_CHECK_MENU_ITEM(menu_item), TRUE);
> #endif
>
> Habitize such process will prevent version mismatch trouble such
> as in uim 0.4.4.

I don't oppose your opinion if some useful feature exists in
GTK+ 2.4 and a uim developer want to use it. But if not so, I
think that we should keep 2.2 compatibility since it costs us
nothing if above habit is really habit.

Of course actual build test will cost us something, declare 2.2
as 'did not tested and not recommended' is most beneficial for
users and developers. I know at least one user using GTK+ 2.2
and uim in his office (he doesn't have permission to update
GTK+).

YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp