[Uim] New branch and new commit policy

TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki tkng at xem.jp
Fri Jul 22 09:43:28 EEST 2005

At first, I'll explain about current situation, then propose new branch
and commit poclicy.

Currently, we have three branches, trunk, composer and r5rs. Trunk is a
main branch, all release was created from this branch until now.
Composer and r5rs are experimental branch, their achievement are
expected to merge into the trunk in the last result.

New stable branch
=================

Since we released all releases from trunk, now we cannot create
both of unstable/stable lines. Therefore I propose creating new 'stable'
branch. If stable branch is added, our branch structure would be
following:

trunk/ : main development branch, unstable release will be created from
         here
branches/stable  : stable release will be created from here
branches/composer: experimental branch
branches/r5rs    : experimental branch

Commit policy
=============

I think  it's about time to determine the commit policy.

1. Bug fix must be committed to both of trunk and stable.

2. New feature must be committed to trunk (or other experimental
branch) at first. If the feature doesn't cause any trouble in the trunk
and the commiter want to commit the new feature to stable branch, then
it's OK to commit to stable branch. (No need to commit all new feature
to stable branch, only when the commiter want to commit.)

I think it's enough to start, but if you have a opinion, please reply.
If there's no reply until July 26, I'll create stable branch and start
to maintain them.

;; If someone want to maintain either of the branches, please send a
;; mail to me.

Regards,

--
TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki