[Uim] problem using uim

Jan Willem Stumpel jstumpel at planet.nl
Sun Mar 6 20:49:27 EET 2005

yusuke at cherubim.icw.co.jp wrote:
>> But the only input method I get is "direct". I can activate
>> the "switcher" by right-clicking on the systray icon, but it
>> only offers "direct" and nothing else. What am I doing wrong?
>>

> Could you invoke `uim-pref-gtk' command and click edit button
> in `Input method deployment' section and choose suitable input
> methods?

I can now. I'm sure I tried this before and it did not work, but
for some reason it works now, thanks. Methods which are chosen are
not immediately available in the input method switcher, though;
only after restarting X.

There is a strange problem: I am using icewm. If I leave X, then
restart X, uim's systray icon is no longer visible. To get it back
(and to see the changes made by the uim preference tool) I have to
reboot the computer completely. There must be a better way; what
could it be?

Apart from these problems, though, the new uim is vastly improved.
I can input にほんご and simple accented characters like ä, ó in
all programs, in an English UTF-8 locale. More "complicated"
accented characters like ŭ, ŏ can be entered in text-mode programs
and in Openoffice, but strangely not in Mozilla. It would be nice
if this could be made to work also.

Regards, Jan