[Uim] Development reformation: New versioning and release process

Etsushi Kato ekato at ees.hokudai.ac.jp
Tue Nov 29 08:48:02 EET 2005

On 2005/11/28, at 3:20, Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

> -On [20051127 19:05], YamaKen (yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp) wrote:
>> At Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:33:43 +0100,
>> asmodai at in-nomine.org wrote:
>>>
>>> I think you meant:
>>>
>>> 0.4.x -> 0.5.x
>>
>> No. What I meant is that I want to increment the minor version
>> when we change as much as "0.4.8 -> 0.4.9". It removes
>> misleadings about amount of changes.
>
> Given your versioning scheme:
>
> version number consist of major.minor.patchlevel
>
> Increasing a minor version would mean 4 -> 5.  What you increment in
> the
> example seems to be the patchlevel.
> Or have I misunderstood?

I also confused by YameKen's proposal.  Currently uim has 0.4.9.1 stable
version (Major 0, Minor 4, PatchLevel 9, and 1 MinorPatchLevel?).  So
what
will be the next stable version according to your scheme?  I guess
it would be 0.5.0, but we already have 0.5.0 and 0.5.0.1 (unstable).
Maybe we should start new release version from 0.6.0...

> Also:
>
>   - no stable branches are created ("major version branch" is also)
> since
>     our development on the trunk is contiguous and linear. such
> branching
>     makes no sense
>
> This means that the major of uim will never get moved up to another
> digit?

Hehe.

Cheers,
--