[Uim] Die, .uim file, die!

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Wed Apr 19 11:17:39 EEST 2006

UIM mailing list,

I am using Ubuntu Dapper 6.04, and I have UIM/Scim/Anthy set up for
Japanese input for within my largely English operating environment.

Using the UIM preferences tool, I have made some custom configurations
which I find more comfortable. For example, I have set [ctrl]+[space] as
the keyboard shortcut keys for switching inputs, instead of the default
[shift]+[space].

It's almost working perfectly.

The problem is that every time I reboot, a file called .uim gets created
in my home directory, and this file over-rides all my customization. For
example, the keyboard shortcuts return to [shift]+[space].

Through experimentation, I have discovered that simply deleting this
file will restore my personal preferences.

Obviously, it's not ideal to have to delete this file every time I reboot.

I have tried leaving the file in place, and using the preferences tool
to reconfigure my settings, but this file accepts no changes.

I don't know why this file is being created every time I reboot, as it
clearly is not needed for the successful operation of UIM/Scim/Anthy. I
don't know what process is creating it, or why it is determined to force
the default settings.

My local Linux users group and the Ubuntu mailing list were not able to
help on this, as no one seemed to fully understand UIM.

How do I stop this file from being created, or stop it from over-riding
my personal settings?

Please be aware that I am no Linux guru, so newbie-friendly explanations
would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time and advice.

--
Dave M G