[Uim] Die, .uim file, die!

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Thu Apr 20 07:46:24 EEST 2006

Jun,

Thank you for replying. I will try to provide all the information you
have asked for.

The .uim file that gets created on every reboot contains only one line:

dave at homebase:~$ more .uim
(define default-im-name 'anthy) ; IM-SWITCH VALUE

If I right click the UIM icon in the Gnome panel, and select "about...",
it shows me a screen with this:
Uim Applet for GNOME 1.0.0

 > The thing here is that the preference wizard saves its customizations
 > in a directory named ~/.uim.d (you should have this if you've used the
 > wizard).
Thank you for explaining the situation. I do in fact have a ~/.uim.d
directory, so I assume that all the correct settings are being stored there.
 > Although you can manually edit .uim to configure uim, your best bet is
 > to track down the culprit and stop it.
Sounds like a good plan.

 >   If you're lucky, the very file
 > will say who created it.
I can't tell from the one line in the file, as shown above, if there's
any indication what process created it.

 > If not, one thing you could try is to remove
 > .uim, set your home directory unwritable to anyone, reboot and see if
 > anything complains about permission denial.
I tried this, but could not log in at all and had to struggle to regain
permission to gain access to my account again.

 > By the way, maybe logging
 > out and then back in instead of rebooting triggers that .uim creation,
 > which can save you time.
Yes, it seems that logging in and out will create the file.

 > Otherwise, you might have to dig into
 > /usr/share/uim or maybe somewhere else and look for a file that's the
 > same as, or contains, the file being automagically created
There is no file in that directory named .uim, but I can't be sure if
there is another file which contains instructions to create a .uim file.

--
Dave M G