[Uim] Re: [Ticket#2006081110000097] Request for a new Wikia - uim

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Aug 22 00:37:11 EEST 2006

Hello, thank you for polite response.

At Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:41:03 +0000,
wikia-requests at wikia.com wrote:

> > The wiki dedicated to uim, an input method software framework.
>
> > to organize its technical collaborations and
> > discussions mentioning various natural languages, a multilingual wiki is
> > needed.
>
> > Additional information: We are currently using two distinct
> > wikis for English and Japanese. To make editors collaborated,
> > we want to merge the two wikis by
> > Mediawiki's multi-language capable page creation.
>
> I'm not sure whether this will fit into Wikia, or if there will be a big
> enough community to support a wiki on this subject. This doesn't appear to be
> something a large community could edit.  As such, it may not meet the goals of
> Wikia which aims to support communities rather than provide wiki-hosting for
> individuals or project groups.

I had carefully read Wikia's goals and its related documents
repeatedly and looked at what sort of wikis are approved before
I requested, to judge whether the uim wiki will fit into
Wikia. But since it was unclear for me after all, I tried a
request.

Please let us know what is a supposed wiki of Wikia through
answering following questions.

> Is there a way the scope of this wiki could be expanded in a way that would
> attract a large community of editors, including interested individuals not
> directly involved in the project?

12 project members and tens of individual editors are
supposed. Although it probably not reach one hundred for some
years, the entity which consist of the project members, related
project members, contributors, users and objectors involving
discussions and collaborations are being called as "uim
community" during at least 3 years in software community,
especially in Japan.

This is the unclear point which I cannot understand from Wikia's
documents. Please let us know:

(1) How many number of members is supposed as the 'large'
    community?

(2) Does generality of the main topic of a wiki affect whether
    the wiki is appropriate to Wikia? Or simply physical
    community scale is important?

For example, I had found "Doom Wiki" before I requested. It
indicates that generality of the main topic of a wiki is not
important, since Doom is a specialized subtopic of the general
topic "first person shooting game". So I assumed that the
generality of "uim wiki" is not a problem although uim is a
specialized subtopic of the general topic "input method". Is it
correct?

> If so, you might want to try using the
> Scratchpad Wikia, our wiki site that can be used for collaborations within
> small projects that do not fit the goals of the main Wikia. See
> <http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Make_a_new_wiki> for details on making
> a wiki there.

I tried the Scratchpad wiki before I requested, but it seems
problematic to host our wiki. Our wiki is currently having 73
pages, and needs more pages titled with general word. But they
easily conflict with other mini wikis'.

I have already found these (possible) page title conflicts with
our wiki pages. So we would like to start with a dedicated
namespace, to avoid confusions and troubles.

  'Key', 'Languages', 'Editor', 'Specs', 'Links', 'Contact', 'FAQ'

> If I have misunderstood the request, and you feel there would be a large
> community of potential editors, please let me know.

Even if our request is not fitting to Wikia, we would like to
know what is Wikia correctly. Please let us know.

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
FAMILY   Given / Nick