[martin at swift.is: Re: [Uim] Improvement of documentation]

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Thu Nov 30 22:04:53 EET 2006

Hi Martin, excuse me of my slow response.

At Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:50:04 +0000,
martin at swift.is wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 11:26:36PM +0900, YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen wrote:
> > I would like to contribute general input method -related topics
> > to Wikipedia once any page of uim Wiki get appropriate for
> > it.

> On that note, I was just browsing WP for information about IMs for my
> documentation outline suggestion (coming soon) and, seeing there
> wasn't an article already, added one myself:
>   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UIM>
> If you have the time, please look it over, fix errors and add
> interesting things.

Thanks.

> By the way, Are you guys very intent on writing it lower-case, or is
> the upper case acceptible as well? In English, acronyms are generally
> upper case (UIM comes from Universal Input Method, right?).

Yes, it is defined as an acronym of "Universal Input
Method". But 'uim' is the official form as a proper noun. So
please use the all lower-case form even if in a context that
'perl' should be written as 'Perl'.

Yes, it is really weird. But I can't imagine 'UIM' as our own
project name due to the historical reasons. See below if you
have some curiosity about it.

Brief history about naming of uim:

2002-08  Created as 'im-scm' by Yusuke Tabata
2002-08  Renamed to 'utena'  by Yusuke Tabata
2002-09  Renamed to 'uim'    by Yusuke Tabata

2002-10  I asked him about canonical form of 'uim' as a proper
         noun, and it had been weakly defined as 'UIM' (on a
         private mailinglist)

2003-03  Maintainer of uim had been changed to TOKUNAGA Hiroyuki

2003-08  I asked Hiroyuki about it since he was using 'uim' as a
         proper noun (He didn't know the discussion about 'UIM'
         above). And after some conversations, 'uim' had become
         the official form based on his preference

         http://lists.sourceforge.jp/mailman/archives/anthy-dev/2003-August/000199.html

2004-02  I had become a uim developer

2005-11  Maintainer of uim had been changed to me, but I didn't
         change the name since it brings confusions, and I was
         already altered as a person that feels 'UIM' unnatural

> > Although contributing such documents to Wikipedia does not
> > require that they are written with GFDL, importing a document
> > fragment from Wikipedia into an uim document requires the
> > document GFDL. So to avoid bothering license handling on such
> > import, I want to make all uim Wiki documents GFDL at first.
> > How do you think about it?
>
> I don't see how importing a document is allowed simply by virtue of
> the shared license.
>
> From
>   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copyrights#Reusers.27_rights_and_obligations>:
>
>   If you create a derivative version by changing or adding content,
>   this entails the following:
>
>     * your materials in turn have to be licensed under GFDL,
>     * you must acknowledge the authorship of the article (section 4B),
>       and
>     * you must provide access to the "transparent copy" of the
>       material (section 4J). (The "transparent copy" of a Wikipedia
>       article is any of a number of formats available from us,
>       including the wiki text, the html web pages, xml feed, etc.)
>
> This means that simply having GFDL isn't sufficient, you still have to
> list the prior authors (at least up to five of the principle ones)
> unless they release you from this requirement.
>
> We are also not allowed to publish the content unless the wikitext is
> available somewhere. So if the wiki goes down or we stop using it, any
> derived work that doesn't publish wikitext (such as PDF or text only)
> will be illegal.
>
> Unsurmountable? No. Annoying? Yes. Any solutions? Let's see:

Okay, it bothers. We should not use it (and thus elwiki) at
least for now. Excuse me of my lack of knowledge about GFDL.

> > > On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 05:35:45AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen wrote:
> > Since I'm not confident of service availability of elwiki.com,
> > and we may re-migrate the wiki site to another place if
> > something good or bad has been happened
>
> My concerns for the license was precisely for similar reasons. Posting
> the content in the public domain will make any copying/migrating/
> moving simple.
>
> Essentially, we just need a place for developing the docs, right? How
> about doing so at Wikibooks under a PD license? That way we can take
> it elsewhere, redistribute it in a different form, post it on the
> Google Code page, base man pages on it etc.

Wikibooks looks good to edit and publish the new user
document. Could you create it by yourself? I'll join into the
editing later.

But since Wikibooks site is intended to collect 'books', our
random topics are not suitable for the site. So we have to find
another wiki hosting site again, and it should support the
important feature for us, interlanguage linking. But as far as I
know, no site other than Wikia (and Wikibooks) provide it. And
then we should run our own MediaWiki? I should estimate
administration cost for it.

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
FAMILY   Given / Nick