[Uim] Focus and cursor position shift handlings (bug #7729)

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Thu Nov 30 22:34:52 EET 2006

At Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:36:57 +0900,
ek.kato at gmail.com wrote:

> On 11/29/06, Etsushi Kato <ek.kato at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11/29/06, YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen <yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp> wrote:
> > > As I said and you agreed with before as follows, we should not
> > > revise GTK+ API for now.
> > [...]
> > >  phase | patch type      | API/ABI | resolves  | involves
> > > -------+-----------------+---------+-----------+-------------------------------
> > >  1     | workaround hack | kept    | kr,cn,etc | GTK+ developers
> > >  2     | proper solution | broken  | ja        | GTK+, each IMs and distros
> >
> > OK.   So you intended just replacing most of the reset() in GTK+ with
> > fix_im_context_weakly(), and postpone to use displace()/place() until
> > whole IM module revision.  I totally didn't think of using
> > fix_im_context_weakly() as a reset()...

I'll try to express my intentions in explicit and clear
words. It's really difficult.

> > IMHO, even it don't change API of immodule, it would be not so easy
> > for GTK+ and other IM developers (and me) to accept
> > fix_im_context_wealky() as reset() since it actually calls focus_out()
> > and focus_in() of IM context at ordinary reset timing, and other IMs
> > possibly haven't implemented focus_in()/focus_out() handlers as such
> > purpose (as gtkimcontextsimple haven't implemented the focus
> > handlers).  This may also involves other IM developers contrary to
> > your expectation.

Mmm... I didn't realize that GtkIMContextSimple is implemented
such a way. Sorry, then my plan obviously does not work.

> From the reason above, I prefer revise all the API at once.  But this
> is not practical at the moment, I rather use focus_out()/focus_in()
> sequence as a reset() only in uim's GTK+ bridge instead of the phase 1
> of your plan.  And not touch GTK+ reset code for now.

OK. Thank you very much for your hard work.

Well, are there other issues that are preventing 1.3.0 release?
I'll complete doc/COMPATIBILITY and RELNOTE if now is the time.

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
FAMILY   Given / Nick