[Uim] keysym addtion

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Tue Oct 17 15:50:56 EEST 2006

Hi Etsushi,

At Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:32:41 +0900,
ek.kato at gmail.com wrote:

> YamaKen, so here is the question:
>
>   * Is it good time for this (deadkey and Kana key handling), or
> should we wait it after merging sigscheme and composer?
>   * Do  you have any plan about the UKey keysym reconstruction (more
> key handling) with composer framework?
>

> In other words:
>
>   * For the deadkey/Kana (and more) key handling, which do you think
> the better path?
>      1) Wait for composer framework (although some of the keysyms are
> still missing).  Then adding some more keysyms after this.
>      2) Adding all the X/GDK keysyms with massive reconstruction with
> current uim.
>      3) Just adding some of the keys I needed (some of the deadkeys
> and Kana keys) for UKey and key_tab[] for now.

Please go ahead with 3). I'm not confident that importing all X
keysyms is good or not at now, and I want to keep libuim core
unmodified until SigScheme is merged into trunk although your
idea which uses the alists to convert the keysyms is a good
solution.

These "national keyboard support" keys that I added to Qt4 might
be appropriate to be added to libuim at now. Please take a look.

  [immodule-qt] National keyboard support
  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/immodule-qt/2004-August/000381.html

  http://doc.trolltech.com/4.2/qt.html#Key-enum

And someday after the composer framework has been merged into
trunk, the keycode handling scheme will drastically be changed
without backward compatibility (although some young releases of
composer framework -based uim will keep the current uim
API). Until then, consider the libuim keycode handlings
"temporary solution" and be pragmatic to resolve keycode-related
problems (especially about "RO" key of Japanese kana-keyboard).

#Please wait for a while for the focus/place handlers
#discussion.

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
FAMILY   Given / Nick