[Uim] [Docs] Terminology problems]

Jan Willem Stumpel jstumpel at planet.nl
Mon Feb 5 18:35:21 EET 2007

Martin Swift wrote:

> From what I've read, it seems that Anthy, Canna and PRIME are
> all input methods in their own right, but are used as
> conversion engines or input modules by uim.

Yes. Anthy can be used by itself, without uim.

I am greatly in favour of creating a good terminology in this
field; it would really be useful for users (and documentation
writers).

The terminology that I prefer is:

-- anthy, canna/kinput2, ATOK are _input methods_ (for one
   language -- Japanese in this case).
-- m17n could be called an _input method collection_ because
   it offers many different languages. I do not know (yet)
   if m17n can be used by itself (outside a "framework" like
   uim).
-- uim, scim, IIIMF are _input method frameworks_ (that can host
   many different input methods and input method collections,
   enabling users to choose between many languages).

See http://www/jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html

Regards, Jan