[Uim] [Docs] GTK-immodule not working

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
Sat Jan 6 02:52:14 EET 2007

Hi Martin,

At Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:08:45 +0000,
martin at swift.is wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 07:29:31AM +0900, YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen wrote:
> > And following procedure may work for such problems although of
> > course not a true resolution.
> >
> > 1) Remove all uim-related packages
> >
> > 2) Reboot the OS
> >
> > 3) Reinstall uim-related packages again
> >
> > Since desktop IM environment may involve settings that effects
> > on X startup, rebooting the OS is an important step to deal with
> > such problems.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
>  * What are "uim-related" packages? Just uim + dictionaries, or also
>    gtk+ and/or Qt?

All packages that depend on libuim (both directly and
indirectly). So all packages you listed should once be
uninstalled. It gets rid of unexpected problems in upgrade
procedure, stale dependencies and so on.

>  * Why would rebooting be necessary? If the X settings are all that
>    need to be reset, wouldn't restarting X be enough?

Since the instruction "restart X" may involve some
misunderstanding and/or unknown factors. For example:

  (1) Users may not know what exactly is X

  (2) A system may have a menu item "restart desktop". But it
      may only restart window manager instead of X. And users
      may misunderstand it as "I've restarted X".

  (3) A system may set some env variables such as
      LIBUIM_SCM_FILES prior to X startup.

(1) and (2) is the reason I supposed on my previous post. And
although (3) is probably a rare case, it can be caused. So we
should select most reliable and clear instruction here. Consider
that this is supposed to be the last way to resolve troubles.

YAMAMOTO Kengo / YamaKen  yamaken at bp.iij4u.or.jp
FAMILY   Given / Nick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_name